Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Happy Birthday Thomas!!




December 2, 2013 Thomas Joseph Herren entered this world at 7:49 am, weighing 7 lbs 12 oz and 19 inches long. We are so thankful to share there were no complications with Thomas or myself for this surgery!! I cannot thank everyone enough for all the prayers that were said on our behalf. We could feel God's peace throughout the whole day.


Thomas's Birth Story
David, mom and I entered St. Thomas hospital (aka Baptist) at 5:30 am. It was a little weird walking in knowing we were going to have a baby just a few hours later (completely different than our first pregnancy). We were taken to my first room where my nurse talked me through exactly what was about to happen. They started my IV, had me sign a ton of forms and wheeled me back to the OR room by 7:15. Everything was moving so smoothly. (This helped in calming my nerves and anxiety) Once in the room, David was asked to wait outside while I received the spinal shot that immediately numbed by body- chest and down. That was such a weird feeling. Because this was not an emergency c-section like last time, the doctor and nurses were so laid back. Again, this brought me much needed peace! Once David entered the room, he could not get over how calm I was. I heard him ask the doctor if they gave me something to help with anxiety. hehe! The nurse reassured him it was all me.....

I have to stop here and give credit where credit is due. I know good and well it was not all me, it was God giving me this peace. When David leaned down to kiss me, I told him "David, I know people are praying for me. The Lord is giving me this peace. " So many of you were aware of the complications I had with my first c-section (pre-eclampsia) and the anxiety I felt going into this surgery. Thank you for taking the time to pray for me specifically. 

Back to Thomas's arrival... Surgery began at 7:30 am and by 7:49 am our second, healthy, beautiful son was born. I specifically remember one nurse welcoming Thomas into this world saying "Happy Birthday Thomas!!". I then heard his sweet cry as Dr. Presley brought him over to me where we could place our eyes on him for the first time. My immediate thought was that he looked so much like Andrew, but after cleaning him off and wrapping him in a blanket, that thought quickly got dismissed. Thomas looked like Thomas. I did not see any resemblance to anyone yet. They brought him to me where he was able to lay on my chest and touch me for the first time. I was overwhelmed with emotions. I was so worried about the thought of loving another child as much as I do Andrew. How could I possibly love another child as much as I love my first son? My answer- God. I cannot describe the love I immediately felt for Thomas and connection I had with him.

The next 30 mins were spent putting me all back together and bonding with our son. I was then wheeled to the recovery area with David and Thomas. Here I as able to nurse him for the first time and he did awesome. He latched immediately! Yay! Because the complication with my first c-section began after the procedure, my nurse was in my room checking my vitals constantly! I also have to mention my sweet husband checked my vitals in between the constant visits by my nurse. I truly felt as if I was in good hands!

Those waiting in the waiting room (Gran, Papa, Big brother Andrew, Jenna, PawPaw and Nana) could not wait to meet Thomas! David was allowed to exit the recovery area to allow one person to come back to see us. Gran got to come back first. It was such a sweet moment seeing her meet her fourth grandchild. Unfortunately, I am not able to recall that event with Andrew because of my altered mental status after surgery, but I am so thankful God gave me another opportunity to experience this with my mom. David then spoke to the nurses and was allowed to bring big brother Andrew back to meet his little brother. Mom was also allowed to stay only to capture this moment on camera. When Andrew pulled back the curtain, he immediately locked eyes with mine and reached out to me. (Melt my heart!!) David brought him over to give me a kiss. He looked at Thomas but was very confused at why he couldn't be the one in my lap. It was a quick exchange but a moment I am so glad we were able to capture.

After 2.5 hours, I was cleared to exit the recovery area to be taken to my personal room. Because I was still coming off of anesthesia, I got a little queasy being wheeled to another floor but once I was in my own room, I quickly came back to my normal self. It was in my room that the other family members got to meet Thomas. It was so sweet to see both sets of grandparents beaming with pride holding their two Herren grandsons in addition to the joy Aunt Jenna displayed meeting her newest nephew.

 Checking in!

 So very excited!!

 Had to recapture this moment as we did the same pose when awaiting Andrew's arrival!

 So thankful to have my mom by my side!

 
Happy Birthday Thomas!!
 Loving on our little boy.

 
One proud daddy!
 My incredible doctor- Dr. Richard Presley

Hey there Thomas!!

 Beyond blessed!

 Pawpaw and Nana meeting their fourth grandchild.

 Andrew recognizing Thomas for the first time!

 This really happened!!

Papa and Gran with their two Herren grandsons.

 
 So thankful for these grandparents!!


Meeting Aunt Nenna!

So thankful she could be here for Thomas's arrival!

 Kelsey and Jimmy coming to meet Thomas for the first time!

 Look at those precious feet!

Andrew playing a little peek-a-boo!

  
Just love this picture!

Sweet little Thomas!

 Another special moment with this special friend!

 Checking out little brother!

 JOY!!

 Loving on my little boy!


 Aunt Ellen made a special trip to meet her newest nephew!



So many of you have asked how Andrew is handling the change and newest addition to our family. Andrew is still all about Andrew as a 17 month old child should be. In his eyes, the world still revolves around him. He hasn't quite understood the fact Thomas is here and here to stay. However, he is still the sweet, happy little boy he has always been! If you ask "Where is Thomas?" he will point right to Thomas with a big smile! I know with time he will become a proud big brother. As for now, we are enjoying being a family of four. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for our future!

The Cutest Blog on the Block

">